Friday, December 26, 2008

Snowy Days

Using local winter
cabbage from the
farm couldn't be
easier. I made rice
in the rice cooker
and topped it with
some sesame
cabbage.

Sesame Cabbage

1 large head cabbage (or 2 small), chopped
1 T. peanut oil (or other light oil)
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 T. minced ginger
1 T. soy sauce
1 tsp. mirin (or 1 tsp. sugar)
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds

In a large pot, pan or wok, heat oil, garlic, ginger & cabbage over med-high heat. Stir-fry until cabbage just starts to wilt. Add soy sauce and mirin. When cabbage is just tender, add sesame oil. Toss in sesame seeds and remove from heat.













We had a few days of snow. Ryan enjoyed playing outside with the neighborhood kids a lot.

Monday:
Ryan's lunch: Hanukkah cookies; almonds; homemade chocolate peanut butter cup; rice "wreath" covered in spinach and decorated with cucumber "trees", red bell pepper & snowflake sprinkles; corn; clementine segments; baby carrots.

Tuesday:
Ryan's lunch: broccoli "Xmas tree"; chocolate peanut butter sandwich rolls; green gel cup; bell pepper Pikachu and rice pokeball inari.

Xmas Eve eve dinner:
potato leek soup;
seaweed rice crackers;
chocolate chips;
gingerbread cookies;
veggie chili.


Wednesday:
We brought a sushi snack to share Xmas Eve with relatives. Everyone seemed to like it except the teenage boys, LOL. I was finally able to use my new 3-tier bento I had gotten for my birthday this fall.

2 comments:

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

I am speechless, yet again! You are so creative with your lunchboxes, I am crowning you the Lunchbox Queen!! :)

Bethany said...

I love your lunches! the wreath looks just like a dessert. I never would have guessed it was healthy delicious spinach. very clever!